SiteAdvisor (by McAfee)McAfee SiteAdvisor is an incredibly valuable service that can help you stay safe from spyware, spam, viruses and online scams. This software works as a "plug-in" that you download and install in your web browser. Of course, McAfee is one of the oldest and most trusted names in Internet Security Software.
Here's what it will do for youOnce installed, McAfee SiteAdvisor does two things for you automatically as you surf the internet:
- It will display a rating in the lower right corner of your web browser telling you what it knows about the site that you are visiting in easy to understand color coding.
- Green - if the site is safe
- Yellow - if the site has questionable content or links to such
- Red - if the site is known for malware or has links to known malware sites
- Grey - if the site has not been tested
- When you look at results from search engine queries, the Advisor will display a checkmark in the same color code next the the result. If it's red, check out the details before clicking on that link.
(Notice the red, yellow and green checkmarks and highlighted text on the example at right.)
The highlighting of the search result itself is an option. Select settings from the SiteAdvisor menu and check "Highlight Search Results".
A note on Red indicators. The site itself may be safe and just link to an unsafe site. Viewing the details will tell you exactly what the risk is and why the site rates a "red".
One site that I have used shows up red. The site itself is Ok, but they link to a site known for spamming. I make sure not to go to that site, and optionally, I can contact the site owners to tell them they might want to reconsider their affiliations.
Start using it today!
SiteAdvisor is available for both Mozilla FireFox (you are using it aren't you?) and Internet Explorer.
Download the version for FireFox
Download the version for Internet Explorer
And it's FREE!
At least for now. You can expect that McAfee will offer a "premium" paid version at some point down the road. This service is so valuable though, I think I would be willing to fork over a few dollars, euro or yen for it.
One other note: you can go to SiteAdvisor's homepage and lookup a site report before you even go there! Webmasters can submit their site to be reviewed and leave a comment about your site as well. Make sure your site is receiving a "Green Light".
Return from SiteAdvisor to Free Tools